Undergraduate Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q:  I am trying to register for a CHM course and I’m getting a prerequisite error.  What do I do? A:  Please refer to the Course Descriptions in the Undergraduate Catalog to find all of our prerequisites.  If after consulting the course description, you feel that the error is incorrect, please contact Chemistry Advising here. Be sure to tell us which specific course(s) you are trying to add, and why you feel the error message is incorrect.

Q:  I am trying to register for BCH4024 and I’m having a problem.  What do I do?  A:  The BCH4024 course is not taught through the Chemistry Department.  It is offered through the College of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.  You will need to contact the course instructor of BCH4024 for assistance. 

Q:  I have questions about registering for undergraduate research or writing an honors thesis. Where can I find more information? A:  Please visit our Undergraduate Research page for more information.

Q:  I have a hold on my account.  Can you clear it? A:  No, we cannot clear holds of any kind.  If it is an academic hold, you will need to speak with a CLAS advisor.  You should visit the CLAS Academic Advising Center webpage and follow the links to set up an appointment. If it is another kind of hold, you should contact the specific department listed in the description of the hold and ask for their assistance.

Q:  I have questions about pre-health requirements, gen eds, foreign language, excess hours, AP/IB credit, etc.  Where do I go? A:  These questions need to go through CLAS advising.  You should visit the CLAS Academic Advising Center webpage and follow the links to set up an appointment.  

Q:  I have a petition/change of major/study abroad/other form to be signed.  What do I do? A: Please send an email from your @ufl.edu email to advising@chem.ufl.edu, and attach the completed form, personal statement and graduation plan (for a petition or major change), and describe any information important for us to know about the petition/form in your email.  Please remember to include your UF ID and phone number in case we need clarifications. We will sign electronically and return the form to you via email.

Q:  I don’t know what courses to take for an upcoming term.  Can you help me figure it out?  And while we’re at it, can we plan the next few semesters? A:  You can actually find out a lot on your own – here is how to start.  First, you will want to refer to your degree audit in ONE.UF to see which courses you have remaining for graduation.  You can use the Undergraduate Catalog to see a model semester plan for standard Chemistry track and for the Biochemistry track. You can click on the hotlinks in the plans to see course descriptions and prerequisites. Then go to the online schedule of courses and start working out your schedule.  If you’ve checked all of these pages and still don’t know what to do, reach out to us and we will try to help.