- Registration & Emergency Contacts
- Remember to Bring
- Sponsors & Supporters
Chemathon 2019 will be held at the University of Florida Friday, April 26, 2019. This one-day event is for high school students interested in chemistry from throughout Florida. Come and meet other students and teachers from around the state. Students will compete as individuals on a written test and as teams in a Quiz Bowl. Morning snacks and lunch will be served and an exciting Chemistry demonstration show will be presented.
A ONE DAY PROGRAM FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
The University of Florida Department of Chemistry is pleased to invite you and your chemistry students to our annual “CHEMATHON” program.
The 2019 GAINESVILLE CHEMATHON will be held on Friday, April 26th on the University of Florida campus. The program will run from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. This event will include a one-hour written test, tours of research labs, a “quiz bowl” team event, a hands-on activity, and a chemistry “show.” Prizes will be awarded to individuals and teams based on performance in the competitive events. Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided.
All Florida high schools, public and private, are invited to participate by sending up to three teams (4 students per team). Teams should be registered by level. Level I teams consist of students taking a first year chemistry course only. Level II teams are unrestricted, that is, they may include students taking up to and including AP chemistry. Students dual-enrolled in a college chemistry course are not eligible for Chemathon.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, April 26th, 2019
- 9:00 Registration and refreshments in the courtyard between Leigh Hall (LEI) and the Chemistry Laboratory Building (CLB)
- 9:30 – 10:00 Competitive written test in CLB C130 (main Chemistry auditorium)
(concurrent teacher “buzz session” in Joseph Hernandez Hall (JHH) 202
- 10:15 – 11:15 Tours of chemistry research labs 2 (30 min/session)
- 11:30 – 12:00 Hands on laboratory in JHH (1st floor).
- 12:00 Lunch – courtyard between LEI and CLB
- 1:15-2:15 Chemathon “Quiz Bowls” in various rooms around the chemistry complex
(see map on this site; a quiz bowl schedule will be provided separately)
Concurrent panel discussion for students
- 2:30 Chemistry demonstration/show in CLB C130
- 3:15 Chemathon survey and awards
- 3:30 Chemathon awards survey and awards
- 4:00 Departure
REGISTRATION & EMERGENCY CONTACTS
- You must complete registration for Chemathon 2019 by April 1, 2019*:
*Note: We cannot give refunds unless you request them by April 8, 2019. Details on how to pay the registration fee of $10.00 per participant (teachers and students) are provided in the registration link below.
Register for Chemathon 2019
- Emergency contact information for your students who will be attending must be received by Monday, April 1, 2019: Emergency Contact Information Form
- Send inquiries to:
Chemistry Department – University of Florida
P. O. Box 117200
Gainesville, FL 32611
- We hope that you be able to come to our Chemathon in April!
REMEMBER TO BRING
Students should bring:
- non-graphing calculators and #2 pencils
- lab glasses or goggles (if available, although they will be provided where necessary)
- long pants and closed-toed shoes
Chemathon visitors are welcome to park (for free) in any of the “green” decal spaces on campus (see http://parking.ufl.edu/parking-at-uf/parking-map/), but most conveniently in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center parking garage located just west of the Chemistry buildings on campus (a short 8-10 minute walk to the Chemathon staging area).
The address for the O’Connell Center:
University of Florida
250 Gale Lemerand Dr.
Gainesville, FL 32611.